Plain cooked rice and stir-fried bok choy taste great on their own, but pairing them adds something extra. In this recipe for vegetable rice, adding stir-fried vegetables to steaming rice means the rice is nicely infused with their flavor. There are numerous variations on this eastern Chinese dish. For example, you can forego the mushrooms and add steamed Chinese sausages, or replace the bok choy with Chinese cabbage. It makes a very nutritious side dish that pairs nicely with cooked chicken, beef, or seafood, whether or not you’re preparing a complete Chinese meal.
- 1 1/2 cups rice (long grain)
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 heads baby bok choy (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 to 3 large Chinese dried black mushrooms (softened)
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or vegetable oil for stir-frying, as needed)
- 2 slices ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 drops sesame oil
- Rinse the rice 2 or 3 times and drain.
- Bring the rice to a boil, uncovered, at medium heat.
- While waiting for the rice to boil, prepare the vegetables.
- Separate the stalks and leaves from the baby bok choy. Cut the stalks diagonally and the leaves across.
- Squeeze the softened mushrooms to remove excess water. Cut into thin slices.
- Heat the wok and add 2 - 3 teaspoons oil, as needed. When the oil is ready, add the ginger and stir-fry briefly, about 30 seconds, until aromatic. Add the sliced mushrooms and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Push the mushrooms to the side and heat 2 - 3 teaspoons oil in the middle.
- Add the bok choy, adding the stalks first, and then the leaves.
- Stir in the soy sauce, sugar, and salt, and stir-fry on high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the water, cover the wok and simmer for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil.
- When the rice comes to a boil, turn the heat down to medium-low. Place the lid on the pot, keeping it tilted to allow steam to escape.
- When you can see holes or “craters” on the rice, add the vegetables on top (remove the 2 ginger slices if desired). Put the lid on tight, turn the heat to low, and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Stir the vegetables into the rice and fluff it up. Serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||123 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||52 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|