If you're looking for a bright green salad loaded with fresh flavor, then look no further. Springy asparagus and peppery arugula are topped with an herb vinaigrette, crispy breadcrumbs, and salty Parmesan. Shelled edamame, also known as fresh soybeans, add protein and a chewy texture.
This recipe makes good use of one piece of essential kitchen equipment: a peeler. Fresh, raw asparagus are shaved to make them easier to eat while remaining crunchy. Shaved Parmesan makes a pretty topping and adds a cheesy bite. You can buy already-shaved Parmesan at the grocery store, or you can do it yourself using (you guessed it) a peeler.
The dressing can be made a day ahead of time. Store any leftover dressing in the fridge for up to two days.
- For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove (finely grated)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cilantro (finely chopped)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- For the Salad:
- 1 bunch asparagus (thick, trimmed; 10-12 oz)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- salt to taste
- 4 ounces arugula
- 1 cup edamame (cooked and shelled)
- 1/4 cup parmesan (freshly shaved)
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, zest, balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, garlic, olive oil, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and whisk until smooth and well combined.
Shave the asparagus into thin strips using a vegetable peeler. If you own a spoon with a flat handle, lay an asparagus spear on the handle with the cut end hanging off. This will help you steady the spears and shave the entire asparagus.
In a large bowl, toss the shaved asparagus with half of the dressing. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the panko breadcrumbs and cook, stirring, until toasted and light brown. Season with salt.
Add the arugula, edamame, and the remaining dressing to the asparagus and toss. Top with breadcrumbs and shaved Parmesan.