- 5 tbsp. vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1/2 kg mixed vegetables - cauliflower, carrots, peas, French beans, potatoes - cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp. Paanch Phoran masala
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 2 large tomatoes chopped fine
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- 1 tsp. ginger paste
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 kg shrimp/ prawns (deveined, heads and tails removed)
- 125 ml thick coconut milk
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tbsp. chopped fresh coriander
Gather the ingredients.
Set up a deep pan or wok on high heat. Add 3 tablespoons of the cooking oil to it and heat.
When the oil is very hot, add the mixed vegetables to it and stir fry until lightly browned.
Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside on paper towels for later use.
In the same pan, add the remainder of the cooking oil and heat. Now add the Paanch Phonran, curry leaves and allow to fry till spluttering stops.
Now add the onions and fry till translucent. Add the tomatoes and garlic and ginger pastes. Fry this masala for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Add all the powdered spices and mix well. Fry till the oil begins to separate from the masala.
Now add the prawns and stir well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes - DO NOT overcook or the prawns will get rubbery.
Add the mixed vegetables, coconut milk, lemon juice and salt to taste. Stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Garnish with chopped fresh coriander. Turn off the heat.
Serve the Shrimp and Mixed Vegetable Curry on a bed of plain boiled rice.