In this delicious, easy to cook dish, juicy shrimps (prawns) are paired with mixed vegetables and cooked in a creamy coconut gravy! Serve on a bed of plain boiled rice!
- 5 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1/2 kg mixed vegetables - cauliflower, carrots, peas, French beans, potatoes - cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp Paanch Phoran masala
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 2 large tomatoes chopped fine
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 kg shrimp/ prawns (deveined, heads and tails removed)
- 125 ml thick coconut milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsps chopped fresh coriander
Set up a deep pan or wok on high heat. Add 3 tbsps of the cooking oil to it and heat.
When the oil is very hot, add the mixed vegetables to it and stir fry until lightly browned.
Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside on paper towels for later use.
In the same pan, add the remainder of the cooking oil and heat. Now add the Paanch Phonran, curry leaves and allow to fry till spluttering stops.
Now add the onions and fry till translucent. Add the tomatoes and garlic and ginger pastes. Fry this masala for 1 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add all the powdered spices and mix well. Fry till the oil begins to separate from the masala. Now add the prawns and stir well. Cook for 2-3 minutes - DO NOT overcook or the prawns will get rubbery.
Add the mixed vegetables, coconut milk, lemon juice and salt to taste. Stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Garnish with chopped fresh coriander. Turn off the heat and serve the Shrimp and Mixed Vegetable Curry on a bed of plain boiled rice.