This combination of okra, shrimp, and tomatoes tastes great over freshly cooked rice. It's a wonderful way to enjoy fresh okra.
- 12 to 16 ounces okra (trimmed, washed, sliced)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded and coarsely chopped)
- 4 large tomatoes (peeled, seeded, and chopped)
- 1/2 cup white wine (dry)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons parsley (fresh chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (or Creole seasoning blend)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- Optional accompaniment: cooked rice
- Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet until the butter is melted.
- Add the onion and bell pepper; toss to coat evenly.
- Stir in the okra and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, lemon juice, parsley, and Creole seasonings.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes soften. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Add the shrimp and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the shrimp turns pink and opaque.
- Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|