|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 Portions (4 Servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||36%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||19%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This combination of okra, shrimp, and tomatoes tastes great over freshly cooked rice. It's a wonderful way to enjoy fresh okra.
- 12 to 16 ounces okra (trimmed, washed, sliced)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded and coarsely chopped)
- 4 large tomatoes (peeled, seeded, and chopped)
- 1/2 cup white wine (dry)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons parsley (fresh chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (or Creole seasoning blend)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- Optional accompaniment: cooked rice
Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet until the butter is melted.
Add the onion and bell pepper; toss to coat evenly.
Stir in the okra and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
Add the tomatoes, wine, lemon juice, parsley, and Creole seasonings.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes soften. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Add the shrimp and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the shrimp turns pink and opaque.
Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.