|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 29g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||23%|
|Total Carbohydrate 60g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This shrimp and pasta salad is the perfect main dish salad for a hot summer lunch or dinner. The dressing is a lightly seasoned mayonnaise mixture with some spicy brown mustard to give it tanginess. Use a reduced-fat mayonnaise in this salad.
Use rotini, wheels, shells, or elbows in this tasty shrimp salad. The salad should be refrigerated for a few hours before serving, so plan to prepare it earlier in the day. This shrimp and rice salad is another tasty option.
- 16 ounces pasta (such as shells, macaroni, wheels, rotini, etc.)
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown spicy mustard
- 3 ribs celery (chopped)
- 3 large tomatoes (diced)
- 1 bunch green onions (chopped)
- 1 pound cooked shrimp
Cook the pasta in boiling salted water following the package directions. Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
In a large serving bowl, combine the mayonnaise, seasonings, and mustard; whisk to blend thoroughly.
Add the chopped celery, diced tomatoes, and green onions. Mix well.
Add the cooked shrimp and pasta to the bowl. Gently combine until well blended.
Refrigerate the salad for at least an hour or two before serving.
- Never leave food out of the cooler or refrigerator for more than 2 hours. If the temperature is above 90 F (32.2 C), no more than 1 hour.
- The vein of large shrimp may contain grit. To devein shrimp, cut a shallow slit down the outside curve of a peeled shrimp. Pull out the dark vein or scrape it out with the knife and then rinse the shrimp under cold running water.
- Shrimp should be cooked briefly or they will be tough and rubbery. Cook them until the shrimp begins to curl and the flesh is opaque.
- Replace the green onions with about 1/2 cup of chopped red onions or sweet onions.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the mayonnaise mixture.
- Use a grainy mustard in the salad or Creole mustard.
- Double the shrimp for a heartier salad.
- Add one or two chopped hard-boiled eggs to the salad.
- If desired, chop larger shrimp.