This easy shrimp recipe is made with a rich and buttery garlic cream sauce. The shrimp and sauce take just minutes to cook. Use frozen and thawed and deveined shrimp to cut preparation time. For paleo diets, replace the heavy cream with coconut cream and use coconut oil instead of butter.
Serve the shrimp with hot cooked rice or angel hair pasta, or spoon it over split baked biscuits or puff pastry shells. If you're on a low-carb diet, serve it over cauliflower rice or zucchini or summer squash noodles (pictured). See the expert tips for instructions for low-carb or paleo diets.
- 8 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 large cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 pounds shrimp (extra large or colossal shrimp, shelled and deveined*)
- 2 tablespoon sherry (dry or white wine)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Garnish: chopped parsley
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook, stirring, until they turn pink. Strain the shrimp in a fine mesh sieve; return the shrimp and solids to the pan and add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter.
- When the butter has melted, add the dry sherry or wine and cook for another minute.
- Add the cream and salt and pepper to taste; bring to a simmer but do not boil.
- Transfer the shrimp to a serving dish or arrange on individual plates over hot cooked rice, pasta, split biscuits, or puff pastry shells. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired. Heat through.
- Serve the shrimp with rice, cauliflower rice, hot cooked pasta, or summer squash or zucchini "noodles." See below for more.
*Remove the shells from the shrimp. With a small, sharp knife, cut a slit down the back of a shrimp. Pull the dark vein out or scrape it out with the tip of your knife. Repeat with the remaining shrimp and then rinse them under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- If you're low carbing it, remove the cooked shrimp from the pan and keep warm. Add some spiralized zucchini or summer squash "noodles" to the skillet with a few more tablespoons of butter. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring and tossing constantly. When the "noodles" are just limp, serve with the shrimp and cream sauce.
- For paleo diets, replace the heavy cream with coconut cream and use coconut oil instead of butter. Instead of wine or sherry, use vegetable broth or a broth made with shrimp shells. Or omit the wine.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|