|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 47g||61%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||82%|
|Total Carbohydrate 18g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Sigara boregi is a Turkish cigar shaped savory pastry made with feta cheese and phyllo dough. This fried pastry is perfect with coffee or a glass of wine, but can be eaten as an appetizer or side dish. It's commonly found on a mezze (appetizer) platter.
- 1 package/8 ounces phyllo dough (thawed from frozen)
- 1 pound feta cheese
- 1/2 cup parsley (chopped fresh)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup olive oil (more or less as needed for frying)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the feta cheese, egg, and parsley. Note that this is best done with a fork, mashing the feta cheese.
- Add the oil to a large pot or deep skillet and heat it to 350 degrees F.
- While the oil is heating, remove the phyllo dough from the refrigerator. Be sure to have a damp towel on hand to cover the phyllo you are not working with. Phyllo dough dries out quickly if left uncovered.
- Take one sheet of phyllo and cut it into fourths. Each piece should be about 4 x 8 inches. Brush each piece with the melted butter. Place about 1 tablespoon of cheese mixture at the base of the dough strip and roll up. Seal by adding a little melted butter. Repeat with the remaining phyllo, butter and cheese mixture.
- Fry in about 2 inches of oil for 2-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Use to a sieve to remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel. Serve immediately.