|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Swiss steak with round steak and stewed tomatoes, a family favorite.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds round steak about 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 can (about 14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
In a small bowl combine bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Place steak on a clean board or similar work/cutting surface. Sprinkle steak with about half of the bread crumb mixture and pound into the steak with a meat mallet. Repeat on the other side of the round steak then cut into 4 to 6 pieces.
In a large Dutch oven or large deep skillet over medium heat, melt butter or margarine. When hot, add steak; brown on both sides. Add tomatoes, onion, chopped celery, chopped green bell peppers, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 2 hours, or until Swiss steak is tender.
More Swiss Steak