Bite-sized bacon-wrapped shrimp appetizers are an easy preparation, and they look and taste elegant enough for a very special party. For serving, transfer them to a warming tray or in a slow cooker.
Generally, a pound of medium shrimp should make about 45 appetizers. Large shrimp would make about 30 to 35 and would use 10 to 12 strips of bacon. The recipe is easily multiplied for a crowd.
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp, shelled, about 45
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 15 strips thick-cut bacon
- Soak about 45 toothpicks in water.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and cold water.
- Peel the shrimp, leaving tails on if you like. With a sharp knife, make a shallow cut down the back of the shrimp. Pull or scrape out the dark vein.
- Rinse each shrimp and put them in the ice water as you work with the remaining shrimp.
- With scissors or a sharp knife, cut the bacon crosswise into thirds.
- Lay the shrimp out on a work surface and blot dry with paper towels; sprinkle them with garlic powder and a little salt.
- Wrap a shrimp in a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Arrange on a broiler rack. Repeat with the remaining shrimp and bacon pieces.
- Broil the wrapped shrimp, turning occasionally, 3 to 4 inches from heat for about 6 to 10 minutes total, or until bacon is crisp around the edges and browned.
- Serve immediately or transfer the shrimp to a warming tray or slow cooker for self-serving.
- The recipe is easily multiplied. If you are doubling or tripling the recipe, work with about 1 pound at a time and keep the wrapped raw shrimp in the refrigerator as you work with subsequent batches. Alternatively, prepare and cook each batch separately and keep warm in the slow cooker, warming drawer, or warming tray while preparing the remaining shrimp.
- Marinate the shrimp for 30 minutes in the refrigerator in about 1/2 cup of Italian dressing. Or make a quick marinade with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 4 tablespoons of lemon juice, a few tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley, and 1/4 teaspoon each of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|