|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 20 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||37%|
|Total Carbohydrate 47g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This simple banana bread recipe makes two moist and delicious loaves of banana bread.
Add your choice of chopped pecans or walnuts to this moist bread, or omit the nuts. Chocolate chips would also make an excellent addition, or add some raisins or dried cranberries to the batter. A flavored cream cheese spread or whipped butter makes everyday banana bread something extra special.
This recipe makes two loaves of banana bread, but you can easily scale it down to make one loaf. Or make both and freeze one for later. We like to slice a loaf of quick bread and freeze it in one, two, or three slice portions. Separate slices with wax paper so they won't stick together. Or lay slices out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze them until solid and then place them in freezer bags.
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups sugar (granulated)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 6 bananas (very ripe, mashed)
- 1 cup pecans (or walnuts, chopped)
Heat oven to 325 F.
Grease and flour two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
Sift dry ingredients together.
Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, beating until blended.
Stir in bananas and chopped pecans or walnuts.
Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pans.
Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Make a simple vanilla icing to drizzle over the banana bread.
- Add 1 cup of chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips, dried cranberries, dried cherries, chopped dates, or raisins to the batter.
- To make an orange cream cheese spread, beat 4 ounces of softened cream cheese with the 1 teaspoon of orange zest, 1 to 2 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar to taste, and a few drops of vanilla extract. Beat until light and fluffy. Refrigerate and let the cream cheese come to room temperature before serving.
- To make a maple butter spread beat 4 tablespoons of softened butter with 2 tablespoons of dark maple syrup.