|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Two Loaves (20 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||37%|
|Total Carbohydrate 47g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This simple banana bread recipe makes two moist and delicious loaves of banana bread.
Add your choice of chopped pecans or walnuts to this moist bread, or omit the nuts. Chocolate chips would also make an excellent addition, or add some raisins or dried cranberries to the batter. A flavored cream cheese spread or whipped butter make everyday banana bread something extra special. See the tips and variations for more.
This recipe makes 2 loaves of banana bread, but you can easily scale it down to make one loaf. Or make both and freeze one for later. I like to slice a loaf of quick bread and freeze it in 1, 2, or 3 slice portions. Separate slices with wax paper so they won't stick together. Or lay slices out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze them until solid and then place them in freezer bags.
"This has become my favorite recipe for banana bread and it's a big hit every time I make it. The best thing about it is that it can be easily halved without any brain work. Absolutely a 5-star recipe. — E.I."
- 8 ounces/1 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups sugar (granulated)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups/18 ounces flour (all-purpose)
- 6 bananas (very ripe, mashed)
- 1 cup pecans (or walnuts, chopped)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour 2 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift dry ingredients together; add to creamed mixture, beating until blended. Stir in bananas and chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pans; bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. This banana bread recipe makes 2 loaves.
Tips and Variations
Make a simple vanilla icing to drizzle over the banana bread.
Add 1 cup of chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips, dried cranberries, dried cherries, chopped dates, or raisins.
Orange Cream Cheese Spread: In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat 4 ounces of softened cream cheese with the 1 teaspoon of orange zest, 1 to 2 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar to taste, and a few drops of vanilla extract. Beat until light and fluffy. Refrigerate. Let the cream cheese come to room temperature before serving.
Maple Butter: Beat 4 tablespoons of softened butter with 2 tablespoons of dark maple syrup.