Impress your family and friends with this elegant chocolate cake recipe. Made with chocolate cake mix and cherry pie filling, it's easy and delicious. Moist cake and fruit layers topped with whipped cream frosting - what's not to love. If you have extra time, try making your own cherry pie filling.
- 1 box dark chocolate cake mix (plus eggs and oil, as required)
- 1/4 cup kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 1 can/20 ounces cherry pie filling
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Garnish: maraschino cherries, drained
- Garnish: milk chocolate curls or shavings
- Drain cherry pie filling in a colander to remove most of the thickened juices.
- Make the chocolate cake following package directions. Bake cake, as directed, in two 9-inch layer cake pans.
- Once the cake has cooled, sprinkle kirsch evenly over both cake layers.
- Chill electric beaters and large mixing bowl; beat cream until it thickens slightly then gradually add confectioners' sugar and beat until it becomes thick enough to hold its shape.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave chocolate; refrigerate the shavings until ready to serve.
- To assemble the cake, place one layer on serving plate and spread with a 1/2-inch thick layer of whipped cream. Scatter the cherries over the cream leaving a 1/2 inch margin around the border of the cake with no cherries.
- Set other layer on top of cherries and spread top and sides of cake with remaining whipped cream, swirling the cream over the top.
- Using your fingers, gently press chocolate curls into cream on sides of cake.
- If desired, garnish top with drained maraschino cherries or more chocolate curls.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|