|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This simple chai spice blend recipe comes in two variations. The first is extra easy and utilizes spices that can be found in any grocery store. The second is a bit more complex and may require a trip to a specialty foods store or a health food store that carries a nice variety of whole spices. Either way, you can mix up a batch and sprinkle some into your favorite recipes. We love it in hot cereal like Amaranth Grits or Quinoa Porridge.
It’s great in beverages like coffee, tea, cocoa, almond milk or lassi. It lends a whole new dimension to chocolate cake batter or biscotti dough or dusted on your morning toast with raw honey. Keep in mind; you can vary these ingredients according to your tastes. I love playing with these combinations and rarely make it the same way twice.
- Pre-Ground Chai Spice Mix:
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
- ½ vanilla bean cut into very small pieces
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick broken into very small pieces (or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 whole cloves
- 7 allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
For the Pre-ground Spice Mix:
Mix the spices together and store in an airtight container.
Makes about 2 tablespoons of mixed spice.
For the Hand Ground Chai Spice Blend:
Place all ingredients into a mortar and pestle or spice grinder (Braun’s mini coffee grinder is great for this) and grind to a powder.
Store in an airtight container.