This chicken Française recipe is the one famously served in French restaurants. It showcases a thick, buttery, lemony sauce with just a hint of something that no one can quite figure out. Leave the secret ingredients to the chefs and make this deliciously rich, nearly addictive, and always impressive at home in your own kitchen.
Cook's note: This recipe calls for dry white wine. Use a good quality wine that you enjoy drinking. The rule of thumb for cooking with wine is never to use something that you wouldn't drink.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, pounded thin
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- Salt and pepper, to finish
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Stir together the flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour mixture, making sure to coat the whole surface of the chicken. Shake off any excess flour; there only needs to be a thin coating of it on the chicken. Quickly dip the chicken in the eggs and allow any excess egg to run off.
- Place the prepared chicken in the heated oil and fry the chicken breasts for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until the meat is cooked through and golden brown. Remove the chicken pieces and place them on a triple-layer of clean paper towels to drain. Loosely tent the chicken with foil to retain the heat.
- Pour off and discard the remaining oil in the skillet. Deglaze the pan over medium-high with the white wine, chicken stock, and lemon juice, scraping up any browned bits left over from the chicken.
- Place the butter, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste, in the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Allow the sauce to simmer and thicken, until it can coat the back of a spoon. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve and pour into a clean frying pan.
- Place the fried chicken into the lemon sauce and allow it to warm through for a minute, turning once. Transfer the chicken to a serving plate. Drizzle any remaining sauce over the chicken breasts and serve immediately.
- Serve with boiled rice, pasta or potatoes, and greens.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||104 g|
|Saturated Fat||31 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||45 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|