|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||14%|
|Total Carbohydrate 6g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||2%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Vitamin C 3mg||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Chicken salad bursts with sweet flavor when you add juicy grapes to a classic recipe. Simply flavored with mayo, salt, and pepper, and studded with celery, sliced scallion, and halved grapes, this chicken salad is perfect for serving on top of lettuce or in between toasted bread.
Feel free to use either red or green seedless grapes, and vary the flavor by adding a dash of curry powder, halved grape tomatoes, and chopped nuts such as almonds, pecans, walnuts, or even pistachios.
This recipe makes a satisfying no-cook dinner on a hot summer evening or a light but filling entrée for an upscale picnic. A chicken salad sandwich also makes an excellent lunch with a cup of soup on the side.
Click Play to See This Simple Chicken Salad With Grapes Recipe Come Together
1 1/2 cups skinless chicken, cut into 1/2-inch cubes or shredded
1/2 cup finely chopped celery, with leaves
1 scallion, retaining about 2 inches of green and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices
3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, adjust as needed for desired consistency
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
12 red or green seedless grapes, halved
1 dash curry powder, or to taste
Grape tomatoes, optional
Chopped nuts, toasted, optional
Lettuce, for serving, optional
Gather the ingredients.
Combine the diced or shredded chicken, chopped celery, and scallion slices with 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise in a large bowl. Toss to evenly distribute the ingredients.
Add more mayonnaise, if desired, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Add the halved grapes and curry powder, tomatoes, and nuts if using. Toss gently to combine.
Mound the salad on greens or lettuce leaves for a light and delicious lunch or dinner salad.
- Instead of a scallion, use finely chopped red onion, sweet onion, or yellow onion for a stronger onion flavor.
- Mix a teaspoon or two of freshly squeezed lemon juice or a tablespoon of Dijon mustard with the mayo for a more piquant flavor.
- Add finely chopped kale for crunch or snip some fresh herbs into the bowl for a summery flavor. Try tarragon, basil, Italian flat-leaf parsley, or chives.
- Make it a Waldorf-style salad with 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup dried cranberries, and 1/2 cup of diced apple along with the grapes.
- For the easiest preparation, use a store-bought rotisserie chicken or leftover roasted chicken from dinner. You can also poach or grill chicken breasts yourself, but allow them to cool fully before you assemble the chicken salad.
- Easily shred cooked chicken breasts using two forks or your hands, pulling strands apart along the grain. For best results, work with warm meat. You can also shred chicken with a food processor.
- Store prepared chicken salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Use light mayonnaise to reduce the calorie and fat content.