- 1 pound ground beef (lean)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 medium bell pepper (green or red pepper; or poblano pepper diced)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 can/28 ounces tomatoes (diced, with juices)
- 1 can/14 ounces black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can/14 ounces chili beans (undrained)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Optional: 1/4 cup canned sliced jalapeno peppers
- salt to taste (kosher)
- black pepper to taste
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drain and transfer beef to the slow cooker. Add the next 10 ingredients (through jalapeno peppers) to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high, 4-5 hours or low, 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. If chili appears too watery, remove 1/2 to 1 cup of the liquid, stir in 1 Tbsp. of cornstarch and return it to the slow cooker. Cook until thickened, about 15 minutes.
Serve garnished with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and fresh cilantro.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||17 g|