This easy chicken and lemon dish is made with bone-in chicken pieces, butter, and lemon juice. I used split chicken breasts in the pictured dish.
This recipe is a simple and versatile skillet lemon chicken preparation with the addition of sliced mushrooms and basic seasonings. Use a cut-up frying chicken, split chicken breasts (bone-in), whole chicken legs, or thighs in this dish. If you don't like mushrooms, feel free to leave them out or replace them with sliced celery, chopped mild onions, or a little of both.
Lemon and garlic provide excellent flavor, along with the butter and seasonings. Depending on what you serve with this chicken, it can be a basic, everyday family meal or an elegant dinner.
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large clove garlic or 2 small cloves, pressed
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds cut-up chicken parts,* whole legs, thighs, or split chicken breasts
- In a large, heavy skillet or saute pan over medium-low heat, melt butter.
- When the butter is foaming, add the sliced mushrooms to the pan; saute until tender and golden brown.
- Add the 2 to 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper; bring the butter and lemon juice mixture to a simmer.
- Add chicken pieces to the skillet, skin-side down, and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes to brown the skin a bit.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute longer.
- Scatter the sliced lemon over the chicken parts in the pan.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pan, and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes, shifting and turning the chicken occasionally. The meat of the chicken should be tender, and juices should run clear when the chicken is pricked with a fork. If you used chicken parts of different sizes, remove smaller pieces as they test done and keep them warm while you cook the remaining pieces.
- For crispier skin with more color, heat the broiler. Move the pan (chicken skin-side up) to the oven just before the chicken is done and broil for a few minutes.
- Serve the chicken with mashed or baked potatoes, a rice dish, or macaroni and cheese. Add a side vegetable or a tossed salad or slaw, along with biscuits or rolls.
Note: According to the USDA, the minimum safe temperature for cooking chicken is 165° F (74° C). Use a reliable food thermometer to ensure that the chicken has reached the required internal temperature.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||69 g|
|Saturated Fat||27 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||25 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|