This recipe is for basic stewed tomatoes made with fresh tomatoes, salt and pepper, butter, and sugar. Saute some finely chopped celery, onion, and bell peppers for a zestier, more flavorful dish. Add a few dashes of Tabasco or some red pepper flakes for a little heat.
- 4 large tomatoes (or 6 medium tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Peel the tomatoes and then cut them into chunks.
- Heat the tomatoes n a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes.
- Continue cooking over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently, or until desired consistency is reached.
- Add salt, pepper, butter, and sugar; taste and adjust seasonings. If desired serve with croutons on top.
Recipes With Stewed Tomatoes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|