- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar (granulated)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Garnish: pearl sugar (or crushed sugar cubes) and / or chopped or slivered almonds
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring the water to a boil.
- In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar and cornstarch; blend well.
- Add the sugar and cornstarch mixture to the boiling water and stir to blend. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the sauce from heat and whisk in the butter, vanilla, and salt. Whisk until the butter has melted.
- Spoon vanilla sauce over cake, bread pudding, warm fruit, fritters, or a fruit cobbler.
Tips and Variations
- Cinnamon Vanilla Sauce: Add two cinnamon sticks to the water; bring to a boil and continue with the recipe. Remove the cinnamon sticks before whisking in the butter, vanilla, and salt.
- Vanilla Rum Sauce: Replace 1/4 cup of the water with spiced rum.
- Nutmeg Vanilla Sauce: Add about 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg to the water and continue with the recipe.
- Replace a few tablespoons of the water with Cointreau, apple brandy, or another liqueur.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|