|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||37%|
|Total Carbohydrate 40g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Vitamin C 25mg||124%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These delicious home fries are the perfect side dish for a special breakfast or brunch. They are browned to perfection with onions and butter, a simple yet amazing combination.
Start with waxy potatoes, such as red or round white. If the season is right, small new potatoes would make incredible home fries. If you aren't a fan of onions, you can leave them out. Or add some red and green bell pepper for color and extra flavor.
Serve the potatoes with eggs and bacon, ham, or sausage, along with toast or English muffins. A side dish of baked beans is delicious with a big breakfast.
See the tips and variations for some flavor and add-in ideas, including bacon or garlic home fries and more.
Gather the ingredients.
Leave the potatoes unpeeled or peel them, depending on the condition of the skins and your preference. Cut in small dice. You should have about 4 cups of diced potatoes.
Put the diced potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and lower the heat to medium-low. Cover and continue boiling for about 4 minutes, or until just barely tender. Drain well. Add the chopped onions to the hot drained potatoes and toss gently.
Heat the butter over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet; add the diced potatoes and chopped onions.
Cook, bringing potatoes up from the bottom of the skillet with a spatula occasionally for even cooking and browning. Cook until the potatoes and onions are tender and golden brown.
Taste and season with paprika, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
Tips and Variations
- Before cooking the potatoes, fry about 6 strips of bacon in the skillet until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Leave about 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings in the skillet. Reduce the amount of butter to 3 tablespoons. Place the skillet over medium heat and proceed with the recipe. Just before serving, crumble the bacon and add the crumbles to the home fries.
- Add about 1/2 cup of diced ham to the skillet along with the potatoes and onions.
- Add 3 or 4 cloves of minced garlic to the potatoes and onions, or season with about 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Cook the onions separately in 1 tablespoon of vegetable until golden brown and add them to the potatoes near the end of the cooking time.
- Add about 1/2 cup of diced red bell pepper or green bell pepper along with the onions. Or add a combination of both colors.
- Substitute 1 teaspoon of Cajun or Creole seasoning for the salt and black pepper. If the seasoning is salt-free, taste and add salt, as needed.
- Toss the finished potatoes with 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley.
- Garnish the potatoes with thinly sliced green onion tops or fresh snipped chives.
- Use Yukon Gold potatoes and only oil and salt only.