This pineapple upside down cake recipe is made in a heavy skillet. The pecans give a great crunchy texture to the cake.
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) sliced pineapple in syrup (12 slices in all)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whipping cream, chilled and whipped, or vanilla ice cream
- Drain pineapple slices, reserving 2 tablespoons of syrup.
- In a heavy 10-inch iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, stirring until sugar is melted. Remove from heat.
- Arrange 8 pineapple slices on sugar mixture and one in center. Cut 3 slices in half and stand up around edge of pan. Place 1 pecan half in center of each pineapple slice.
- Into a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add shortening and milk; beat for about 2 minutes, or until batter is smooth.
- Add egg and reserved 2 tablespoons pineapple syrup. Beat 2 minutes longer.
- Pour cake batter over pineapple slices in skillet, spreading carefully.
- Bake at 350 F for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden brown and cake springs back when lightly touched in center.
- Cool in skillet on rack for 5 minutes; loosen edges with spatula or butter knife.
- Hold serving plate over top of skillet; invert and shake gently to loosen cake. Lift off skillet.
- Serve cake warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
"This cake is incredibly easy to make and looked beautiful on my serving plate. I did make a few minor changes. 1) I used butter in the cake batter instead of shortening; 2) used maraschino cherries in the centers of pineapple; 3) sprinkled chopped pecans over the pineapple layer before adding the cake batter. This dessert is buttery, nutty, and not too sweet. The hardest part about the whole recipe is having to wait until it cools off enough to eat it. Awesome!! I will definitely make it again...and again." Iowa Gramma
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|