|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 skillet (8 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||9%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Zucchini, tomatoes, and onions team up in this fresh and tasty side dish. Simple seasonings flavor this zucchini and tomato medley. The zucchini is simmered with garlic and onions and then fresh tomato wedges are added to the skillet. The combination of tomatoes with zucchini is classic.
Peel the tomatoes or leave them unpeeled. We used small tomatoes (unpeeled) in the pictured dish. See the variation below the recipe for zucchini and tomatoes with mushrooms.
This recipe is easily scaled down for a small family.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 cup sliced a green onion (or chopped sweet onion)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 pounds zucchini (unpeeled, sliced 1/2-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice (or vegetable broth, chicken broth, or water)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tomatoes (peeled and each cut into 8 wedges)
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until just tender. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes longer.
Add the sliced zucchini, the broth or tomato juice, sugar, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When the zucchini is tender, add the tomato wedges. Cover and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until hot.
Remove bay leaf and transfer the vegetables to a serving bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet with the oil, and saute about 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms until golden brown and tender.
- Remove the mushrooms to a plate, and set aside.
- Add the onions, and continue with the recipe.
- Add the reserved cooked mushrooms to the zucchini along with the tomatoes. Heat through, and serve.