- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 2 cup water (warm)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 3 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1 lemon (grated rind and juice)
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 6 to 7 cups flour (bread or all-purpose flour)
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Dissolve yeast, sugar, and 3 tablespoons flour in 1/2 cup warm water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups warm water, salt, butter, eggs, lemon rind and juice, and sugar. Add proofed yeast and about 4 cups flour and beat well.
- Add remaining flour gradually, beating well, until dough is stiff. Knead as for bread, about 5 minutes by machine or 10 minutes by hand, and put in a greased bowl to rise.
- When double in size, knead again briefly. Reserving a handful of dough to decorate the top, make a round loaf. Put in a well-greased 9-inch round, 3-inch deep pan.
- Decorate the edge of the loaf with a braid and a cross in the center with 4 backward Cs in each quadrant. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour, or follow this Quick Tip to cut the rise time.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brush bread lightly with egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water). Bake for 1 hour or until nicely brown.
- When cool enough to handle, remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||21 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
(The nutrition information on our recipes is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Individual results may vary.)