These sloppy joe sandwiches are perfect for family lunches, dinner, or parties. For a party or tailgating event, serve the sloppy joe mixture hot from a slow cooker and have buns, plates, and napkins available for guests.
This sloppy joe mixture would be great with slider buns as well, or serve it over rice or cauliflower rice for a low carb option.
For a delicious family meal, all you need to go with the sandwiches is chips or fries and a side of coleslaw.
- 3 pounds ground beef (85% to 90% lean)
- 1 cup chopped onions (about 2 medium or 1 large onion)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups tomato ketchup
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 8 split and toasted sandwich buns or hamburger buns
- Cook the ground beef with onion, salt and pepper until beef is no longer pink, stirring frequently to break up and brown evenly.
- Sprinkle flour over beef; stir to blend thoroughly. Add Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and water. Simmer, stirring often, for 15 to 25 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve he sloppy joe mixture with toasted sandwich buns.
Serves 8 to 12.
Tips and Variations
- Use about 1 pound of lean ground pork or sausage with 2 pounds of beef.
- Add 1 chopped bell pepper, red or green.
- Add 2 teaspoons of chili powder to the meat mixture.
- Add 1 can (14.5 ounces) of diced tomatoes for a chunkier sauce.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|