|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 33g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||51%|
|Total Carbohydrate 42g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This slow braised beef stew is a great choice if you're looking for a hearty dish for cooler weather. A variety of vegetables make this braised beef a hearty oven meal, and it's a complete meal in one dish.
Crusty French bread pairs well with this dish, but biscuits, cornbread muffins, or yeast rolls would be delicious as well. Add a light tossed salad for a special family meal.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lean pot roast, rump, lean chuck, etc., about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds, or use lean stew beef
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 packed tablespoon brown sugar, dark or light
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram or savory
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crumbled rosemary
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cut in 1-inch chunks
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 300 F.
In a large Dutch oven or casserole, heat the oil over medium heat.
Cut the beef roast into 1-inch pieces, discarding excess fat.
Toss the beef with the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper.
Brown the beef in batches in the hot oil, stirring to brown all sides. Set beef aside.
Add the sliced onion, carrot, and celery to the pot and cook, stirring, until onion is slightly softened. Add the beef broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, herbs, and the beef. Bring to a simmer. Cover tightly and put the pot in the oven.
Cook the stew for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
Add the potatoes and leeks; cover and cook for 30 to 40 minutes longer, until the vegetables are tender.
Serve and enjoy!
- Omit the leeks or replace them with some sauteed fresh mushrooms.