In this easy slow cooker recipe, butternut squash is combined with tomatoes and a variety of vegetables.
Butternut squash can be a pain to peel, but a Y-peeler (pictured) or vegetable peeler does the job with ease.
Serve this butternut squash dish with pasta or rice.
Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash, about 2 pounds, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 can (14-1/2-ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 to 15-ounces) corn, drained, or 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 sweet green bell pepper, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons tomato paste
Combine all ingredients except tomato paste in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours, until squash is tender.
Remove 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid; blend with tomato paste.
Stir tomato paste mixture into slow cooker.
Cook for 30 minutes longer, or until mixture is slightly thickened and heated through.