This slow-cooked shredded beef is infused with Italian seasonings and works really well in sandwiches, lasagna, or served over pasta. If you're looking for a more barbecue flavor, omit Italian dressing and basil, then add your favorite pre-made sauce to the beef during the half hour of cooking.
- 3 pounds/1.35 kg beef roast: sirloin tip or rump roast
- 1 envelope Italian salad dressing -zesty Italian
- 8 ounces/225 g beef broth
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup/60 mL dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL tomato paste
- 4-5 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a large skillet heat one tablespoon olive oil. Cut away any excess fat on the surface of roast. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper all over. Place into pan and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients, cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours on low setting. Add 1/3 cup/80 mL of water to slow cooker if the liquid appears insufficient.
2. To test, simply use a fork to check for doneness. Meat should literally fall away and shred easily. If it does this, then simply use two forks to separate the meat. If it is still tough, cook for an additional two hours and test again.
3. For shredded barbecued beef, omit Italian dressing packet and basil leaves. Add barbecue sauce at the end of cook time. Remove beef from slow cooker, and discard all but 1/3 cup of liquid. Shred beef and return to cooker with your favorite bottled sauce. Stir through, secure lid and set to warm for 30 minutes before serving. These are best used in barbecue sandwiches.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|