These slow cooker baked beans begin with dried navy beans, bacon, and salt pork. The combination of tomato juice, ketchup, and molasses flavors the beans perfectly.
- 1 pound navy beans (dried, about 2 1/2 cups)
- 5 cups water
- 6 strips of bacon (diced, or 1/4 pound salt pork, sliced)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup sorghum molasses (or regular molasses)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Soak beans overnight in a large bowl.
- Next morning, drain the beans; put them in a large stock pot or saucepan. Cover with 5 cups fresh water and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat on stovetop. Simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Drain the beans, reserving 2 cups of the liquid.
- Add the beans to the slow cooker.
- In a skillet over medium heat, fry bacon or salt pork until browned; stir into the beans in crock pot.
- In a bowl combine tomato juice, the chopped onion, ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, dry mustard, salt, black pepper and chili powder; add to beans and stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours, until beans are quite tender and flavorful.
- Check and add a little of the reserved liquid as necessary.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||12 g|