This slow cooker beef brisket is cooked with a variety of vegetables and seasonings. Long, slow braising is an excellent way to cook a beef cut like brisket.
This is a pot roast type of dish with potatoes, carrots, and onions.
- 3 pounds lean beef brisket (well trimmed)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 carrots (cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 5 small red potatoes (halved)
- 1 large onion (cut into wedges)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca (quick-cooking)
- 3/4 cup beer (or use a dry red wine)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary (crumbled)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the brisket on all sides.
- Place the carrots, onion, and potatoes in slow cooker. Sprinkle the tapioca over the vegetables. Add the browned brisket (If brisket is very large, cut it in half).
- Combine the beer with the remaining ingredients. Pour the mixture over the brisket.
- Cover and cook on High for 5 to 6 hours or on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
- The tapioca will thicken the liquid to make its own gravy. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- If the liquids are watery, pour them into a saucepan and boil for a few minutes to reduce slightly and concentrate the flavors.
- Add a slurry of 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of cold water if more thickening is desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||49 g|
|Saturated Fat||18 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|