|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||16%|
|Total Carbohydrate 26g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This slow cooker chow mein is surprisingly easy to prepare, and it makes a tasty meal with chow mein noodles or rice.
Steak strips are slow cooked with mushrooms and vegetables to make a chow mein-style meal. Serve this easy dish with the hot cooked chow mein noodles or serve the vegetable and meat mixture over hot cooked rice.
This is a simple combination made with canned or frozen Chinese-style vegetables. Feel free to sear the beef strips before you add them to the slow cooker.
- 1 cup water (hot)
- 3 beef bouillon cubes (or the equivalent base or granules)
- 1 (4-ounce) can mushrooms (drained)
- 1 1/2 pounds thin round steak (cut into strips)
- 1 1/2 cups celery (sliced)
- 2 medium onions (halved and sliced)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (low-sodium)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (16-ounce) can Chinese-style vegetables (or use thawed frozen mixture)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup chow mein noodles (or a similar noodle, such as lo mein or Hong Kong, cooked)
Gather the ingredients.
In a small bowl, mix together the hot water and beef bouillon cubes.
In a slow cooker, combine the hot beef broth with the mushrooms, beef strips, celery, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours.
In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water. Mix until well blended.
One hour before the dish is done, add the Chinese vegetables and the cornstarch and water mixture.
Cover and cook for about 1 hour longer, or until thickened and hot.
Just before the dish is ready, cook the chow mein noodles and drain well.
Serve the dish with the cooked noodles or hot cooked rice.
- Replace the soy sauce with Tamari.
- Add 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger.