|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This slow cooker chow mein is surprisingly easy to prepare, and it makes a tasty meal with chow mein noodles or rice.
Steak strips are slow cooked with mushrooms and vegetables to make a chow mein style meal. Serve this easy dish with the hot cooked chow mein noodles or serve the vegetable and meat mixture over hot cooked rice.
This is a simple combination made with canned or frozen Chinese-style vegetables. Feel free to sear the beef strips before you add them to the slow cooker.
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms, drained
- 1 1/2 pounds thin round steak, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1 cup hot water combined with 3 beef bouillon cubes (or the equivalent base or granules)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (approx. 16 ounces) Chinese-style vegetables (or use thawed frozen mixture)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup chow mein noodles, cooked (or a similar noodle, such as lo mein or Hong Kong)
In slow cooker, combine mushrooms, beef strips, celery, and onions with the hot beef broth, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours.
One hour before the dish is done, add the Chinese vegetables and the cornstarch and water mixture.
Cover and cook for about 1 hour longer, or until thickened and hot.
Just before the dish is ready, cook the noodles and drain well.
Serve the dish with the cooked noodles or hot cooked rice.
Tips and Variations
Replace the soy sauce with Tamari.
Add 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger.
You Might Also Like