|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 16g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||29%|
|Total Carbohydrate 63g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This is an old-world Bolognese style sauce, made with Italian sausage and ground beef, along with carrot, celery, tomatoes, and herbs and red wine. You won't believe this meaty, wonderful pasta sauce came from a slow cooker.
For extra zip, add about 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce. Also, fresh Parmesan cheese is fantastic in the sauce. There's also a recipe that is ready in just 30 minutes with this Instant Pot bolognese sauce.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage (remove from casing)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 small carrot (grated)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 large clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (such as Pinot Noir or Merlot, or substitute with tomato juice or water)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
- 1 pound spaghetti, linguine, or a tubular pasta shape, such as mostaccioli
Gather the ingredients.
In a large skillet, brown ground beef and sausage, breaking up while the meat cooks.
After about 5 minutes, add the onion, carrot, and celery; cook until onion is just tender and the beef and sausage are no longer pink. Drain well.
Transfer ground meat mixture to the slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients, except pasta and cheese. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours. Stir in the Parmesan cheese just before serving.
Serve with hot cooked spaghetti, mostaccioli, ziti, or your favorite pasta.
Sprinkle servings with more grated Parmesan cheese, if desired, or pass the Parmesan at the table.