These simple great northern white beans are cooked in the slow cooker with bacon, seasonings, and the holy trinity of Cajun cooking; onion, celery, and bell pepper.
I add diced carrots and herbs to the beans, and extra bacon. Angie's beans.
- 1 lb. great northern white beans
- 3 to 4 strips of bacon (diced)
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup bell peppers
- 1/4 cup celery
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- Let beans soak overnight in the refrigerator; drain.
- Put beans in a Dutch oven; cover with fresh water. Simmer beans until tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Transfer the beans to the slow cooker and add the bacon and onions; cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Angie's note - If the beans are cooked but the juices are too thin, you may have to boil the beans on the stove until it is thicker.
- Serve the beans over hot cooked rice.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g|