|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||26%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This recipe is a very simple carne guisada (a Tex-Mex style beef stew), made with stewing beef and beef broth, along with peppers and spices.
- 1 pound stew beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, optional
- 10 1/2 ounces condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 or 2 small jalapeno or serrano chile peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in a small amount of cold water
Brown meat in oil on all sides. Pour off excess grease. Add tomato paste, beef broth, salt and pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, chile peppers, and water.
Transfer to the slow cooker insert.
Cover and cook on low for 8 to 12 hours, or until meat is very tender.
Turn to high and dissolve about 2 teaspoons of cornstarch in small amount of cold water and slowly pour into the stew, which is simmering, until the liquids are thickened.
- Serve with rice and warm tortillas, along with refried beans and garnishes.