This easy crockpot and dressing meal is a snap to prepare and cook in the slow cooker. The dish is made with prepared stuffing mix, condensed soup, milk, and cheese.
The dish is made with only 5 main ingredients along with the butter and chicken broth for the stuffing mix. If you like, saute some celery and onions in the butter required for the stuffing and add them.
If you don't have stuffing crumbs, see the basic homemade dressing instructions below the recipe.
- Prepare the stuffing crumbs according to package directions and place in 5-quart crock pot. Stir in 2 cans of cream of chicken soup.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together cubed chicken, 1 can cream of chicken soup and the milk. Spread over stuffing in the slow cooker. Alternatively, combine the chicken, remaining condensed soup, and the milk with the crumbs.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours.
- Sprinkle with cheese about 30 minutes before it's done.
Serves 6 to 8
If you don't have stuffing mix, here's a basic prepared bread dressing. Cut 1 pound of bread into small cubes and spread out on a large rimmed baking pan. Place in a preheated 350 F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the bread is dry and crumbly. In a large saucepan, melt 1 1/2 sticks of butter (6 ounces) over medium heat. Add 1 cup of chopped onion and 1 cup of chopped celery; cook until the vegetables are softened. Put the bread in a large bowl and toss with 2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning. Add the vegetable mixture to the bread cubes along with about 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth, or enough to moisten the bread. Taste and season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Saute 1/2 cup of diced celery and/or 1/2 cup of chopped onion in a few tablespoons of butter until tender and add to the stuffing mixture.
- Replace one can of the condensed cream of chicken soup that goes into the stuffing mixture with cream of mushroom or cream of celery.
- Use sharp cheddar or Swiss cheese instead of mild cheddar.
"This recipe was easy to throw together and everyone loved it. I didn't change a thing. I will definitely make it again. Thanks." D.L.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||53 g|
|Saturated Fat||19 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|