Sherri's recipe for chicken and dumplings uses flour tortilla strips for the dumplings. It's a shortcut recipe that busy cooks will love. The recipe uses chicken breasts on the bone with skin. Boneless chicken breasts can be used as well, but the broth will not be quite as flavorful. For boneless chicken breasts, check for doneness after about 4 hours on low.
Another option for this dish is chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. Chicken thighs are a good choice because they stand up well to long cooking times, and they offer more flavor. A combination of chicken breasts and thighs is an excellent choice. You'll have the flavor from the dark meat thighs with lower-fat chicken breasts.
Feel free to increase the vegetables in the chicken and dumplings. Double the carrot, celery, and onion, if you like.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels.
- Peel and chop the carrot. Chop the celery. Peel and chop the onion.
- In the slow cooker, combine the chicken, vegetables, and the chicken stock and bouillon. Cook on low 5 to 7 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the broth and set aside.
- Skim off some of the fat, if desired, and then transfer the broth mixture to a large saucepan. Place the saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low or medium-low to maintain a gentle boil.
- While the broth heats, prepare the chicken. Remove the meat from the bones. Discard the bones and skin and chop the chicken; return it to the gently boiling broth.
- Cut the flour tortillas in half and then cut the halves crosswise into strips about 1 inch in width. Drop the strips into the broth and boil gently for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir the mixture occasionally.
- If a thicker broth is desired, combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch (or flour) with just enough cold water to form a smooth paste; stir until thoroughly blended and smooth. Add the mixture to the broth and continue to cook until thickened.
- Taste the broth and season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- You might prefer to prepare this recipe with homemade dumplings instead of tortillas. To make basic homemade dumplings, combine 2 cups of flour with 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder; cut in 2 tablespoons of butter and then add 1 cup of milk. Stir until the dough holds together. Roll the dough out on a floured surface to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into strips or squares. Dust the dumplings lightly with flour and then add them to the boiling chicken and broth.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||79 g|
|Saturated Fat||23 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|