This chicken soup offers loads of flavor, color, and texture, and it's gluten-free. A variety of chopped vegetables go into the soup along with basic seasonings, most of which you probably have on hand. Some chicken base or bouillon gives the soup some extra chicken flavor, but feel free to omit it. Whole grain sorghum makes the soup a hearty, satisfying dish.
Whole grain sorghum is a good substitute for barley or rice in many dishes, and it retains its shape and texture in the slow cooker. You'll find whole grain sorghum in many markets in the organic food or Bob's Red Mill section. If you can't find it locally, check Amazon.com, Jet.com, or other online retailers.
Sorghum is a major food source for many parts of the world, but in the US it was mainly used as livestock feed and in the production of ethanol. Because it is a gluten-free grain, it is becoming more popular as human food. Sorghum can even be popped like popcorn!
Farro is another grain that holds up well in the crock pot. Go ahead and use farro or barley in the soup if you have it, or make the soup without grain and add 1 cup of cooked brown rice near the end of the cooking time. Chopped kale adds nutrients and color to the dish. Replace the kale with chopped spinach or chard leaves if you'd like. Add your family's favorite vegetables to this versatile soup. Diced potatoes, rutabaga, and parsnips are excellent choices. Or add about 1 cup of frozen peas or mixed vegetables—thawed under cold running water—about 20 to 30 minutes before the soup is ready.
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth or unsalted chicken stock
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 3/4 cup whole grain sorghum
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chicken base or bouillon granules, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- Kosher salt, to taste
In the crockery insert of a 4-quart or larger slow cooker, combine the chicken broth, tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, kale, sorghum grain, garlic, chicken base (if using), garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper.
Cover the pot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until the sorghum is tender. Add the diced cooked chicken and salt, to taste.
Cover and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes longer.
- To prepare the kale, rinse thoroughly to ensure there is no sand clinging to the leaves. Cut out the large center stalk from large leaves and cut the stem off smaller leaves. Chop the leaves.