|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This slow cooker chicken gumbo is full of flavor! Smoked sausage, diced cooked chicken, and sliced okra are among the ingredients. And, like all good gumbos, it starts with a roux. Feel free to add about 1/2 pound of peeled and deveined shrimp the last 20 minutes of cooking time.
Serve this flavorful gumbo with hot cooked rice and a salad.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cooking oil (a neutral-flavor oil, such as corn oil or canola)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 12 to 16 ounces smoked sausage, sliced about 1/2" thick (spicy sausage, such as andouille)
- 2 to 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups sliced okra
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Das of salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
For the Roux
In a heavy 2-quart saucepan stir together flour and oil until smooth.
Cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
Reduce heat to medium.
Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes more or until roux is dark reddish brown.
Let roux cool.
For the Gumbo
Add chicken broth to a 3 1/2 to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in the roux.
Add sausage, chicken, okra, onion, green pepper, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper.
Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
Skim off fat.
Serve with hot cooked rice.
You Might Also Like