This slow cooker chicken stew is an excellent all-in-one dish for an everyday family meal or Sunday dinner. A combination of chicken thighs and chicken breasts are slow cooked to perfection with bacon, pearl onions, potatoes, and mushrooms. Red wine and garlic provide outstanding flavor.
- 4 to 5 chicken breasts and thighs
- 8 to 10 strips bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced green onions
- 8 small white onions peeled
- 16 small new potatoes (scrubbed) or about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds medium potatoes of quartered)
- 8 ounces small mushrooms (whole)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup chicken broth (low sodium or unsalted)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Garnish: fresh parsley (chopped)
- Optional: 1 to 2 tablespoons water and flour
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the diced bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Add the green onions to the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add the chicken pieces to the skillet and brown well on all sides. Remove the browned chicken and set aside.
- Put the small whole onions, potatoes, mushrooms and garlic in the slow cooker.
- Add the browned chicken pieces, bacon, green onions, salt, pepper, thyme, and chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- About 1 hour before the dish is done, add the dry red wine.
- Remove chicken pieces to serving platter.
- If desired, thicken juices with a combination of 1 to 2 tablespoons each flour and cold water.
- Arrange vegetables around chicken and pour juices over all.
- Garnish servings with chopped parsley.
Craving more? Check out these recipes:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||75 g|
|Saturated Fat||21 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|