This slow-cooker chicken stew is an excellent all-in-one dish for an everyday family meal or Sunday dinner. A combination of chicken thighs and chicken breasts is slow cooked to perfection with bacon, pearl onions, potatoes, and mushrooms. Red wine and garlic provide outstanding flavor.
- 4 to 5 chicken breasts and thighs
- 8 to 10 strips bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced green onions
- 8 small white onions, peeled
- 16 small new potatoes (scrubbed) or about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds medium potatoes (quartered)
- 8 ounces small mushrooms (whole)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup chicken broth (low sodium or unsalted)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Garnish: fresh parsley (chopped)
- Optional: 1 to 2 tablespoons water and flour
In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the diced bacon until crisp. Remove, and drain on paper towels.
Add the green onions to the skillet, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Add the chicken pieces to the skillet, and brown well on all sides. Remove the browned chicken, and set aside.
Put the small whole onions, potatoes, mushrooms, and garlic in the slow cooker.
Add the browned chicken pieces, bacon, green onions, salt, pepper, thyme, and chicken broth.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
About 1 hour before the dish is done, add the dry red wine.
Remove chicken pieces to serving platter.
If desired, thicken juices with a combination of 1 to 2 tablespoons each flour and cold water.
Arrange vegetables around chicken, and pour juices over all.
Garnish servings with chopped parsley.