This easy chicken stew is cooked in the slow cooker with potatoes, carrots, onion soup mix, and tomato sauce. It's a simple combination of ingredients that is sure to please a hungry family. Just throw the ingredients together in the slow cooker and go about your day.
Like most crockpot stews, this one is versatile. Add some other chopped vegetables to the mixture if you like, or add some frozen lima beans to the mixture. We prefer boneless chicken thighs because there's no need to separate meat from bones, and no risk of bones in the stew. If you do use bone-in chicken, remove it from the slow cooker before it falls apart. Remove the meat from the bones, chop it, and return it to the slow cooker.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs (boneless)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken)
- 3 potatoes (red-skinned, Yukon gold, or round white potatoes)
- 2 medium onions (peeled and chopped)
- 1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce
- Optional: 1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- Optional: 1 cup frozen corn (thawed)
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
Peel and chop the onions. Peel the potatoes and cut them into bite-size cubes.
Combine the soup, tomato sauce, and water in the slow cooker.
Add the chicken pieces, onions, potato cubes, and the corn, if using. Stir in the onion soup mix.
Cover the slow cooker and cook the stew on low for 6 to 8 hours or cook for 3 to 4 hours on the high setting. When the chicken is very tender, remove the meat and chop it into smaller pieces.
Taste the stew and adjust the seasonings with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.
Serve the chicken stew hot with crackers, crusty bread, or biscuits.
- Because of a higher fat content, chicken thighs and legs are a good choice for slow cooking. If you do use chicken breasts in the recipe, avoid overcooking; they can become dry and tough.
- The recipe may be cooked in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Choose high pressure for 7 minutes.
- It's easy to remove the bone from chicken thighs. Just lay the chicken on a cutting board, skin-side down. Use a knife to cut around the center bone. Grasp the bone with a paper towel in hand and pull it out. Remove the skin and chop the chicken meat.
- If you remove the skin from the chicken, save it and freeze it for delicious snacks! Dry the pieces of chicken skin with paper towels. Arrange the chicken skin pieces on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and season them lightly with salt and pepper. Cover them with another sheet of parchment paper and place another baking sheet on top of them (this keeps them flat and minimizes splatter). Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes. Enjoy them as a keto-friendly snack or make mini chicken skin sliders.
- Add 1/2 cup of sliced celery.
- Add 1 cup of frozen baby lima beans, thawed.
- Add a 14.5-ounce can of tomatoes to the stew.