This delicious slow cooker chicken and biscuits dish is a meal the whole family will enjoy, and your crock pot helps to make it quick and easy to prepare.
The chicken mixture is made with a combination of gravy and condensed soup along with chicken breasts and seasonings. The biscuits—frozen, canned, or homemade—are baked separately and served with the chicken and gravy mixture.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless chicken breast halves, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (12-ounce) jar chicken gravy
- 1/4 teaspoon
- poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash black pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (thawed)
- frozen biscuits (or homemade, see below)
- Optional Homemade Southern Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (omit if you use sweet milk)
- 1 teaspoon (scant) salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (or sweet milk)
- In a slow cooker, layer the chunks of uncooked chicken breasts with chopped onion and celery.
- Combine the soup and gravy with poultry seasoning, thyme, and pepper; pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
- Add the thawed mixed vegetables, turn the slow cooker to HIGH, and continue cooking for 20 to 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, bake the biscuits as directed on the package or prepare homemade biscuits (see below).
- To serve, split a biscuit and spoon some of the chicken and vegetables over the bottom half. Put the top half of the biscuit on the chicken and gravy.
Optional Homemade Biscuits
- In a food processor combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda (if using buttermilk). Pulse a few times to combine the ingredients. Cut the chilled butter into pieces and add to the food processor. Pulse several times, or until the mixture is the texture of coarse meal. Add the buttermilk or milk and pulse just until the dough begins to form.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead just until the dough comes together. Do not overwork the dough. Pat the dough into a circle or square about 3/4-inch thick and cut out with round or square biscuit cutters.
- Arrange the biscuits about 2 inches apart on an ungreased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425 F oven for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|