Chicken breasts are slow cooked to perfection with bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, along with a little red wine and seasonings. Feel free to leave the artichokes out of the dish or replace them with extra mushrooms or a diced carrot.
The gravy mix helps to thicken the liquids in the dish. It can be replaced with 1 tablespoon of quick cooking tapioca. Add a teaspoon of chicken base or a cube of bouillon along with the tapioca. For extra tomato flavor, add a few tablespoons of tomato paste.
The dish is made with canned mushrooms. If you prefer fresh, add about 4 to 6 ounces of fresh sliced mushrooms an hour before the dish is done. Replace the wine with chicken stock if you'd like.
Serve this tasty slow cooker chicken dish with hot cooked spaghetti or rice. Add a salad and garlic bread for a satisfying family meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained, or about 6 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms (see tips)
- 2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) artichoke hearts, quartered, drained, or cooked frozen
- 1 packet dry chicken gravy mix (about 1 ounce)
- 1/4 cup red wine (such as cabernet or pinot noir)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breast strips and cook, stirring, until browned.
Remove the browned chicken to a 3 1/2-quart or larger slow cooker. If using fresh mushrooms, cook them in the skillet until browned.
Add the mushrooms and the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker with the chicken. Stir gently to blend ingredients.
Cover and cook on low 4 to 6 hours.
Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed.
Serve the chicken and sauce over hot cooked pasta or rice.