|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
You can make this easy Crock-Pot chili with ground turkey or ground beef. Garnish each serving with shredded cheese and sliced ripe olives. A dollop of sour cream or guacamole with chopped fresh cilantro or green onions would make a great garnish as well.
The great thing about chili is its versatility. Besides changing the meat to ground beef or a combination of ground meats, there are many more substitutions you can add or change. See the variations for a few more ideas.
1 pound ground turkey or ground beef
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (16 ounces) pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa, your favorite
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sliced black olives
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground turkey and onion. Drain off excess fat.
Transfer browned mixture to the crockpot with tomatoes, beans, salsa, chili powder, and cumin. Stir gently to blend ingredients.
Cover and cook on LOW setting for 5 to 6 hours. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a tablespoon or two of shredded cheese and black olive slices.
Instead of pinto beans, use black beans, navy beans, or great northern beans.
Add some minced jalapeno pepper or crushed red pepper flakes, to taste.
Use all or part chili-seasoned tomatoes in the dish.
You Might Also Like
More Chili Recipes