Serve this flavorful slow cooker pork roast with potatoes or boiled seasoned cabbage for a delicious family meal. The blend of spices with the apple juice really makes this meal!
Serve the pork with mashed or baked sweet potatoes or add some red-skinned potatoes to the slow cooker along with the carrots.
- 2 medium onions
- 1 (3 1/2-4 1/2 lbs) boneless pork shoulder (or pork sirloin roast)
- 4-6 carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf marjoram (or thyme)
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice (or cider)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Cut the onions in half and cut off the end; remove the peels. Slice the onion halves and arrange them in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Leave netting on pork roast and place it atop the onion slices in the slow cooker.
- Slice the carrots into 1-inch pieces.
- Arrange carrots around the roast; sprinkle the roast with the garlic, salt, pepper, allspice, chili powder, and marjoram or thyme. Combine the juice and vinegar and pour over the roast.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Reduce heat to LOW and cook for 6 to 8 hours longer, or leave on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours longer.
- Pour juices into a saucepan and bring to a boil on the stovetop. Reduce to medium and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
- Combine flour and cold water until smooth; whisk into the simmering juices. Continue cooking and stirring until thickened. Serve with the pork.
Tips and Variations
- Add small round white or red skinned potatoes to the slow cooker along with the carrots.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|