The flavors in this chicken include apple, bell pepper, raisins, curry powder, and tomatoes. The delicious combination is fantastic with hot cooked rice.
I tend to use boneless chicken thighs in many of the recipes calling for chicken breasts since they don't become dry over the long cooking period. Feel free to substitute chicken thighs in this recipe.
- 2 medium-size Granny Smith apples (cored, diced and unpeeled)
- 1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1 small green bell pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons raisins or currants
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, or to taste
- 1 can (about 14 1/2 oz.) tomatoes (diced)
- 6 boneless chicken breast halves (skin removed)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice (long-grain converted)
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp (shelled and deveined)
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Dash of kosher salt
- Garnish: chopped parsley
In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine diced apples, onion, bell pepper, garlic, golden raisins or currants, curry powder, ginger, and ground red pepper; stir in tomatoes.
Arrange the chicken over the tomato mixture, overlapping pieces slightly. Pour chicken broth over the chicken breast halves. Cover and cook on LOW until chicken is very tender when pierced with a fork, about 4 to 6 hours.
Remove chicken to a warm plate, cover lightly, and keep warm in a 200° F oven or warming drawer.
Stir the rice into cooking liquid. Increase temperature to high; cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until rice is almost tender, about 35 minutes. Stir in shrimp, if using; cover and cook for about 15 minutes longer, until shrimp are opaque in center; cut to test.
Meanwhile, toast almonds in a small nonstick frying pan over medium heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
To serve the dish, season rice mixture to taste with salt. Mound in a warm serving dish; arrange chicken on top. Sprinkle with parsley and almonds.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||76 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||31 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|