These super easy cowboy beans are cooked in the crockpot with ground beef, a variety of canned beans, and seasonings. Barbecue sauce and molasses give them amazing cookout flavor.
- 1/2 pound lean bacon
- 1 pound ground beef, lean, at least 85%
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 can pork and' beans, 16 oz
- 1 can red kidney beans, 16 oz
- 1 can butter beans, 16 oz
- 1 can baby lima beans, 8 oz
- 1 can great northern beans, 16 oz
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup molasses or maple syrup
- 1 jar barbecue sauce (or use homemade barbecue sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cut the bacon into small pieces; brown in a large skillet. Remove bacon from the rendered fat and set aside.
- In the bacon drippings, sauté the onion and bell pepper until tender.
- Add the ground beef and brown lightly. Put the meats into the bottom of a crockpot. Add the can of pork and beans.
- Drain most of the liquids from the remaining cans of beans and add them to the slow cooker with the remaining ingredients. Mix well to blend.
- Cook on HIGH setting for 1 hour, and then set to LOW and continue cooking for 5 to 6 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Check for seasonings and correct if desired, with a little salt and pepper, or more brown sugar or syrup.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||25 g|