|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 20g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||53%|
|Total Carbohydrate 38g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 11g|
|Vitamin C 11mg||53%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Creamed corn is an easy tasty side dish that works in every season. It’s even simpler when you complete it from start to finish in the slow cooker. Just mix everything in the crock pot, set it, and forget it. It’s a side dish you won’t have to watch closely and you can use that time to prep other dishes. It’s also perfect for someone new to cooking since there are no special skills involved. Bring it to a potluck and it’s sure to please even the pickiest palates.
We added some Parmesan cheese for extra salty punch and topped it all with freshly chopped parsley or chives. The variations for this side dish are endless, from adding bacon to jalapenos, so you won’t get bored changing up this recipe.
3 (15-ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
3/4 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces cream cheese
4 tablespoons salted butter
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, more for serving
Fresh coarsely chopped parsley, for garnish
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Combine the corn, whole milk, sugar, chicken bouillon, salt, and black pepper in the insert of your slow cooker. Stir until all of the ingredients are combined and evenly dispersed.
Top the corn with dots of the cream cheese and butter. Put the lid on the crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours.
Stir the corn to evenly distribute the cream cheese and butter. Stir in the parmesan cheese and adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
Top with chopped parsley or chives and more grated parmesan cheese if you wish.
- Ranch creamed corn: Add two tablespoons of ranch seasoning to the crockpot before you start cooking.
- Elote Mexican street creamed corn: Add in 2 teaspoons of sweet paprika and a 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder to the corn before cooking. Top with chopped parsley and crumbled cotija cheese before serving.
- Cheddar bacon creamed corn: Stir in 1/2 cup of freshly cooked bacon crumbles and 1 cup of cheddar cheese when the creamed corn is done cooking.
- Bacon jalapeno creamed corn: Add 1 diced and seeded jalapeno the slow cooker before cooking. Top with crumbled bacon and chopped chives.
- You can use frozen or fresh corn instead of canned corn.
- If you want to make this dish vegetarian, you can substitute the chicken bouillon with vegetable bouillon. You can also just omit this ingredient and add more salt to taste.
- If you don’t want all of the kernels to be whole you can pop an immersion blender into the cooked creamed corn and pulse it through the mixture a few times so that some of the kernels remain whole and some are pureed.
- You can add a few more tablespoons of butter for extra decadence.