|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 27g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||68%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This flavorful slow cooker Italian chicken dish is easy to prepare and cook in the slow cooker. Cream cheese and condensed soup make it creamy, and Italian salad dressing mix adds the zesty flavor. If you don't have a salad dressing mix, we've included a quick homemade version below the recipe.
From the positive comments received - several people mentioned using fresh sliced mushrooms instead of canned. One person added some extra garlic because she used low-fat soup and cream cheese, and another person said she was asked to bring it to every potluck dinner from now on!
4 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix, regular or zesty
1/3 cup water
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 (4-ounce) can mushrooms, stems and pieces, drained
1 cup cooked rice or noodles
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Place the chicken breast halves in the crockery insert of a slow cooker.
Combine salad dressing mix and water in a cup and pour it over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the cream cheese and soup until well blended. Stir in mushrooms. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the chicken.
Cook for 1 to 3 hours longer or until chicken is cooked through. Take care not to overcook or the chicken breasts will be dry.
Serve this creamy Italian chicken with rice or hot cooked noodles.
Quick Homemade Italian Dressing Mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons each garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground black pepper, dried leaf thyme, dried leaf basil, and dried parsley flakes.
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
Combine the herbs and spices and then combine with the water and pour over the chicken.
From Marka "I served this over Uncles Ben's Wild Rice & Chicken, the sauce was just the right consistency, the chicken absolutely yummy and with the rice, it really was an elegant presentation! Heartily recommended!!!!!"
- Use dry white wine in the recipe in place of the water.
- Replace the canned mushrooms with sliced fresh mushrooms.
- Add chopped green onions along with the mushrooms.
- If desired, replace the mushrooms with frozen or canned and drained artichoke hearts or omit the mushrooms altogether.
- Replace the cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom soup and 1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules or base.