|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 25g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||40%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Vitamin C 31mg||155%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
It is so satisfying to come home to an aromatic dinner cooking in the crock pot, and this recipe for Creole chicken and sausage is hearty and delicious. Boneless chicken thighs and spicy andouille sausage slow cook in a tomato sauce spiced with Creole seasoning and cayenne pepper, making for a dish that is rich in flavor and textures.
Smoked andouille sausage is a mainstay in Cajun and Creole recipes; it is made of smoked pork and has a sharp, smoky, and spicy taste. It adds a lot of flavor to this dish, but you can substitute with another spicy smoked sausage if you prefer. When the sausage is combined with chicken thighs, onion, chicken broth, canned tomatoes and tomato paste, Creole seasoning, cayenne pepper, and green pepper in the slow cooker, it results in a bold dish that will surely make dinner more exciting. Serve this Creole chicken over hot cooked rice for a fabulous meal any night of the week.
1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
12 ounces smoked andouille sausage, cut into 1- to 2-inch lengths
1 cup chopped onions
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, or Cajun seasoning
1 dash cayenne pepper, to taste
1 green bell pepper, chopped
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cooked rice, for serving, optional
Gather the ingredients.
In a slow cooker, combine the chicken thigh pieces, slices of andouille sausage, chopped onion, broth or water, canned tomatoes (with their juices), tomato paste, Creole seasoning, and cayenne pepper.
Cover and cook the chicken and sausage mixture on low for 5 to 6 hours.
Add the chopped green bell pepper and continue cooking for 1 more hour on low.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve this flavorful chicken and sausage dish over hot boiled rice.
- At the end of cooking time, add about 2 cups of instant white rice to the slow cooker, and set the heat to high for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add 1 or 2 cans of cannellini beans along with the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Instead of cutting the chicken into cubes, add the thighs whole and then remove them at the end of cooking time to shred the meat. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker before serving to warm and combine with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve this slow-cooked dish over noodles, zoodles, or cauliflower rice instead of white rice.
- Add peeled and deveined raw shrimp about 30 minutes before the end of cooking time.