This cube steak stew is easy on the budget and it makes a tasty family meal. The stew includes corn, but carrots, mushrooms, or pearl onions may be substituted.
The mushroom gravy mix adds flavor and helps to thicken the stew. If you aren't a fan of mushrooms, use plain brown gravy mix or onion gravy mix.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds cube steak, cut into bite-sized pieces (or use tenderized round steak)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon red wine or cider vinegar
- 2 cans (16 oz. each) small new potatoes
- 2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 package mushroom gravy mix
- 1/4 cup water or broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the beef and onions quickly in hot oil. Transfer to the Crock Pot.
Add vinegar to skillet and scrape browned bits up with a spatula; add to Crock Pot.
Add the cubed potatoes and corn to the slow cooker and then sprinkle with gravy mix; pour water over all and mix to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings.