|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 37g||47%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||51%|
|Total Carbohydrate 100g||36%|
|Dietary Fiber 17g||60%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Serve this tasty slow cooker Tex-Mex fiesta chicken with a Spanish or Mexican style rice and sour cream or guacamole.
Chicken thighs were used in the pictured dish. The chicken thighs were briefly seared in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil before they went into slow cooker. Searing the chicken does add some extra flavor, but it isn't a necessary step. Feel free to use fire-roasted or chili-style tomatoes if you'd like.
If you cook the dish on the high setting, you might find you have to thin it a bit with some chicken broth or water. Check it about an hour before it's done and add some broth or water, as needed.
- 3 to 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 can (12 to 15 ounces) corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
Cut the boneless chicken breasts into strips. If desired, cook the chicken strips in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat, turning, until browned.
Add the chicken to the slow cooker along with the drained corn, black beans, cumin, chili powder, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and tomato paste. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on HIGH for about 4 hours. Check the chicken about an hour before it's done and add chicken broth or water to thin, if necessary.
Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.
Garnish servings with shredded cheese or guacamole and sour cream, if desired.
- If you cook the dish on the high setting, you might find you have to thin it a bit with some chicken broth or water. Check it about an hour before it's done and add some broth or water, as needed.
- Replace the boneless chicken breast halves with 6 to 8 boneless chicken thighs. Chicken breasts can become dry if cooked too long; chicken thighs stay moist and juicy.
- Add some heat with finely chopped jalapeno peppers or canned mild chile peppers. Or, replace the diced tomatoes with chili seasoned tomatoes or tomatoes with green chile peppers. Crushed red pepper flakes can be added for heat as well.
- Pinto beans or red beans can be added to the dish instead of black beans.