|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 37g||47%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||51%|
|Total Carbohydrate 100g||36%|
|Dietary Fiber 17g||60%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
You can use chicken breasts or thighs for this recipe. Try searing the chicken in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil before placing it into the slow cooker. While searing does add some extra flavor, it isn't a necessary step. Feel free to use fire-roasted or chili-style tomatoes if you'd like..
- 3 to 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 can (12 to 15 ounces) corn (drained)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 onion (halved and thinly sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cut the boneless chicken breasts into strips. If desired, cook the chicken strips in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat, turning, until browned.
Add the chicken to the slow cooker along with the drained corn, black beans, cumin, chili powder, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and tomato paste. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for about 4 hours. Check the chicken about an hour before it's done and add chicken broth or water to thin, if necessary.
Garnish servings with shredded cheese or guacamole and sour cream, if desired.
- If you cook the dish on the high setting, you might find you have to thin it. Check it about an hour before it's done and add chicken broth or water as needed
- Replace the boneless chicken breast halves with 6 to 8 boneless chicken thighs. Chicken breasts can become dry if cooked too long; chicken thighs stay moist and juicy.
- Add some heat with finely chopped jalapeño peppers or canned mild chili peppers. Or, replace the diced tomatoes with chili seasoned tomatoes or tomatoes with green chili peppers. Crushed red pepper flakes can be added for heat as well.
- Pinto beans or red beans can be added to the dish instead of black beans.