This garlic shrimp is a snap to prepare and cook in a slow cooker. The dish needs very little attention, so it's perfect for a busy day or when you just don't have stovetop or oven space for another dish.
The shrimp makes a fabulous appetizer. Arrange the shrimp and some of the sauce on a tray with toothpicks and toasted baguette slices. Or serve the shrimp and sauce with hot boiled rice or angel hair pasta.
Feel free to vary the seasonings. I used Creole seasoning, but a seasoned salt blend or plain kosher salt, paprika, and a dash of thyme or dried leaf basil would be excellent as well. Drizzle a few tablespoons of lemon juice over the shrimp before serving or serve the shrimp with lemon wedges.
See the tips below the recipe for a quick homemade Creole seasoning blend.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 scant teaspoon Creole seasoning*
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds extra-large or jumbo shrimp, or about 21 to 30 per pound
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, for garnish
- Combine the butter, oil, sliced garlic, Creole seasoning, and the black and cayenne peppers in the crockery insert of a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the shrimp. Run a small, sharp knife down the back of each shrimp. Pull the dark-colored vein out or scrape it out with the tip of the knife. Rinse the shrimp under cold running water and pat dry. Repeat with all of the shrimp.
- Add the prepared shrimp to the slow cooker and stir to coat them with the oil and butter mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring about halfway through the cooking time. When the shrimp are opaque and pink in color, remove them to a serving dish and pour the sauce over them.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve as an appetizer or main dish.
*If the Creole seasoning is salt-free, add about 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, or to taste.
- Quick Creole Seasoning - Combine 1 tablespoon of paprika with 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon of dried leaf oregano, and 1 teaspoon of dried leaf thyme. Cover and store in a cool, dark place.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|